12 March 2012

The Black Experience

I recently discovered Listmania! on Amazon.  Listmania! is a special section on Amazon that allows members to create lists of their favorite books, movies, etc.  During this discovery I came across a very interesting list posted by MikaNici entitled "The Black Experience".  The poster described the list as "books on black history, the black struggle, black power movements, and our continuing issues that every African American should read."  After glancing over the list, I must  agree.  As I state in my profile, I always strive to bring attention to African American culture, whether it be enlightening, informative, or entertaining.  I'm adding the books on this list to my reading list to complete over the next few years (it's a total of 40 books, so too much for a single year).  I'm excited about adding a little more substance (and depth) to my library, especially since a lot of the books are less than $5.00.  Some of them are even less than $1.00.  Of course, you can probably find the majority of these books in your local library but it never hurts to support our black authors.  I will probably go back and purchase my favorites.  Ultimately, I hope that I may have an even greater appreciation of my roots, my ancestor's fight, and the liberties that I'm afforded today.  Now, without further delay here is the list:
  1. The Narrative of Sojourner Truth (Dover Thrift Editions) by Sojourner Truth
  2. When I Was a Slave: Memoirs from the Slave Narrative Collection (Dover Thrift Editions) by Norman R. Yetman
  3. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl - Literary Touchstone Classic by Harriet A. Jacobs
  4. Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup
  5. Uncle Tom's Cabin (Dover Thrift Editions) by Harriet Beecher Stowe
  6. The Mis-Education of the Negro by Carter Godwin Woodson
  7. The Souls of Black Folk (Enriched Classics Series) by W. E. B. Du Bois
  8. Up From Slavery: An Autobiography by Booker T. Washington
  9. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
  10. Selected Writings and Speeches of Marcus Garvey (Dover Thrift Editions) by Bob Blaisdell
  11. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
  12. Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor
  13. The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes by Arnold Rampersad
  14. Classical Black Nationalism: From the American Revolution to Marcus Garvey by Wilson Moses
  15. Modern Black Nationalism: From Marcus Garvey to Louis Farrakhan by William Van Deburg
  16. The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley by Alex Haley
  17. Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements by Malcolm X
  18. Waiting 'Til the Midnight Hour: A Narrative History of Black Power in America (Henry Holt Co) by Peniel E. Joseph
  19. The Black Panthers Speak by Philip S. Foner
  20. Revolutionary Suicide: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Huey P. Newton
  21. Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton by Bobby Seale
  22. To Die for the People by Huey P. Newton
  23. Assata: An Autobiography (Lawrence Hill & Co.) by Assata Shakur
  24. Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver
  25. Blood in My Eye by George L. Jackson
  26. Will You Die with Me?: My Life and the Black Panther Party by Flores A. Forbes
  27. The COINTELPRO Papers: Documents from the FBI's Secret Wars Against Dissent in the United States (South End Press Classics Series) by Ward Churchill
  28. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  29. Long Walk to Freedom: With Connections (HRW Library) by Nelson Mandela
  30. Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery by Na?im Akbar
  31. Race Matters by Cornel West
  32. There Are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in The Other America by Alex Kotlowitz
  33. The Reckoning: What Blacks Owe to Each Other by Randall Robinson
  34. The Covenant with Black America (English and English Edition) by Various Contributors
  35. Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority by Tom Burrell
  36. How to Rent a Negro by Damali Ayo
  37. The Conversation: How Men and Women Can Build Loving, Trusting Relationships by Hill Harper
  38. The Black Male Handbook: A Blueprint for Life by Kevin Powell
  39. Come On People: On the Path from Victims to Victors by Bill Cosby
  40. Losing the Race: Self-Sabotage in Black America by John H. McWhorter
I will keep you all updated on my progress in the comment section below and make a note of my favorites.


3 comments:

  1. Hey sis if you have time do you would you please post your list? Thanks xx*s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a link posted but it seems that it's difficult to find. Here is the full list.

    ReplyDelete